Indo Tibetan Border Police
The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) is India's primary border patrol organization for its border with Tibet Autonomous Region. It is one of the five Central Armed Police Forces of India, raised on 24 October 1962.
The first head of the ITBP designated Inspector was Balbir Singh ITBP started with four battalion teams and underwent expansion to a force of 60 battalions with 15 sectors and 5 frontiers.
The ITBP is trained in the Civil Medical Camp, disaster management, and nuclear, biological and chemical disasters. ITBP personnel have been deployed abroad in UN peacekeeping missions in Bosnia, Kosovo,Haiti , Sierra Leone, Haiti, Western Sahara, Sudan, Afghanistan, and elsewhere. Two battalions of ITBP are deputed to National Disaster Response Force.
- ITBP is a multi-dimensional force which primarily has 5 functions:
- Vigil on the northern borders, detection and prevention of border violations, and promotion of the sense of security among the local populace.
- Check illegal immigration and trans-border smuggling.
- Provide security to sensitive installations and threatened VIPs
- Restore and preserve order in any area in the event of a disturbance.
- To maintain peace.
Presently, battalions of ITBP are deployed on border guard duties from Karakoram Pass in Ladakh to Diphu La in Arunachal Pradesh, covering India China border.
ITBP Commando units provide security to the Embassy and consulates of India in Afghanistan.
- TBP Commando units provide security to the Embassy and consulates of India in Afghanistan. Besides this two Companies of the ITBP are providing security in Afghanistan.
- One company of ITBP is deployed in United Nation Mission in Congo since November 2005. A National Centre for UNCIVPOL training has been set up at ITBP Camp, Tigri, Khanpur, Delhi for providing systematic training to Indian Police Officers for deployment in UN Mission.
- ITBP is also providing security to the pilgrims during Annual Kailash Mansarovar Yatra from 1981. ITBP provides communication, security and medical cover to the yatries from Gunji to Lipulekh Pass and back to Gunji in co-ordination with MEA and Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam.
- ITBP has provided Quarantine camp at Chhawala in New Delhi for the suspected persons during the COVID-19 pandemic who were evacuated from Wuhan. It is also setting up camps at its other locations in the country for further quarantine
ITBP training centres develop amongst the trainees the qualities of: professional skills, esprit de corps and leadership.The Basic Training Centre at Bhanu, Haryana ITBP Academy at Mussoorie, and the Mountaineering & Skiing Institute at Auli run the training programmes and conduct indoor and outdoor training activities, in pursuance of this mission.
- The motto of the ITBP is
Shaurya – Dridhata – Karm Nishtha ( Valour , Dtermination , Devotion of duty )
The ITBP recruitment aur assistant commandant is conducted by UPSC.
This department courses under Ministry Of Home Affairs .
CAPF exam is held for the recruitment for office of Assistant Commandants in ITBP.
Awards And Decorations :
Padam Shri - 06
- Kirti Chakra - 02
- Shaurya Chakra - 06
- Sena Medal - 01
- President's Police Medal for Gallantry - 19
- President's Police and fire Service Medal for Gallantry - 02
- Police Medal for Gallantry - 92
- President's Police and Fire Service Medal for Distinguished Services - 02
- President's Police Medal for Distinguished Services - 101
- Police Medal for Meritorious Services - 422
- Prime Minister's Life Savings Medal - 86
- Parakram Padak - 79
- Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award- 06
- Jiwan Rakasha Padak - 07
- Sarvottam Jiwan Rakasha Padak- 02
- Uttam Jiwan Rakasha Padak- 14