FULL FORM OF COBRA :- COMMANDO BATTALION FOR RESOLUTE ACTION
Cobra raised on 12 September 2008 with an initial set up budget of RS 13 billion.
Moto:–"संग्रामें पराक्रमी ज्यी"
" Victory for gallant in war
- Primary governing body:–Central Reserve Police Force
- Secondary governing body:–Ministry of Home Affairs (India)
- Headquarters – New Delhi
RAISING OF THE COBRA :
In 2009 the ministry of home affairs approved the raising of 10 COBRA's to meet the challenge being posed by naxalites.
They are deployed in the Naxalism Affected Area of Chhattisgarh, Bihar ,Jharkhand ,Odisha, Madhya Pradesh,West Bengal, Maharashtra ,Andhra Pradesh ,Assam and Meghalaya.
Each COBRA battalion is headed by an inspector general(IG). Broadly equivalent to major general.
Cobra commandos are trained in Gorilla Warfare Field Engineering Tracking of Explosive Jungle Survival Techniques.For which specialized training programs are conducted, jungle warfare operation planning and execution, physical endurance map reading and GPS intelligence and nuances are taught in these programs.To train the commandos in intelligence gathering, special intelligence courses are conducted by the Premier Intelligence Agency.
Cobra commando has top class sniper team.Those are used to hit the target and the training pattern of these snipers is exactly like that of NSG commandos.Inspired by NSG, CRPF has procured 29 bomb trucks and 350 bomb blankets .
- Cobra is ranked among one of India's most experienced successful law enforcement unit's.
- Cobra is the best equipped CRPF unit in the country.
HOW TO JOIN COBRA
To join this, one must join CRPF.
- There is no direct recruitment for COBRA, you can apply for CRPF by joining any rank i.e. Assistant Commandant Sub Inspector or Constable from the bank.
- For this, you can join CRPF by clearing the exam of UPSC CAPF, SSC CPO, SSC GD.
- Then it is necessary to complete the basic training of CRPF, after that willingness is taken in the last phase, at this time the candidate can opt for COBRA.
- Candidates who are not able to join COBRA immediately after CRPF training, can also join COBRA during their service, depending on the vacancy.
- After opting for COBRA, physical, interview and medical tests are conducted.Whichever candidate clears it, is sent to CSJWT Belgaum Karnataka for the same Cobra training for 3 months. Pre-induction training of 3 months, whichever candidate clears it, they are deployed in the Cobra unit. For anti naxal operations.
- Those who could not complete the pre-induction would be sent to the parent's unit.
- Even after becoming a cobra commando, every year the candidate is required to do one month rotational training, otherwise the candidate is sent to the parent unit.
- The tenure of COBRA is of 4 years and the Commandant can extend it for 1 year if he wants.
- After release or transfer from COBRA, candidates can take choice posting for which three choices have to be filled and any one posting is available in the filled choice.